Pages

Thursday, June 13, 2013

The fence test?

Another day, another chain email... This one is reported to be a list by Jeff Foxworthy that will point out if you are a Republican or Democrat. First of all, the list does not originate from the comedian it is attributed to. Secondly, it becomes apparent very quickly that the 'list' is hugely biased. Now, I am not a Republican or Democrat, but I'd say I lean closer to Democrat if I was forced to choose one over the other. So allow me to examine this list from my unaffiliated perspective, as well as the views or Democrat friends of mine...
Which side of the fence?

If you ever wondered which side of the fence you sit on, this is a great test!

If a Republican doesn't like guns, he doesn't buy one.
If a Democrat doesn't like guns, he wants all guns outlawed.
Wrong! I don't like guns, yet support the second amendment. My solution? I don't buy one. Unsurprisingly, Democrat friends of mine follow the same example. The problem here is the fantasy that gun control = outlawing guns. That's simply false and a play on exaggerated fear.
If a Republican is a vegetarian, he doesn't eat meat.
If a Democrat is a vegetarian, he wants all meat products banned for everyone.
Tell me this one is a joke. I have never once seen a Democrat advocate the outlawing of meat products. If a Democrat is a vegetarian, they simply don't eat meat.
If a Republican is homosexual, he quietly leads his life.
If a Democrat is homosexual, he demands legislated respect.
No, a democrat asks for the equal treatment that has been unfairly kept from them. I would not be surprised if a Republican homosexual were in favor of equality as well. But what about Republicans on homosexuality? The party position seems to be the restrict homosexuals to second class status, and to restrict access to the rights that rightfully theirs. IE: fighting against marriage equality.
If a Republican is down-and-out, he thinks about how to better his situation.
A Democrat wonders who is going to take care of him.
Again, incorrect. When I have tough times, I work hard to better my situation. I have Democrat and Republican friends that do the same. Likewise, I know Republicans and Democrats that simply want to be taken care of for free. Contrary to your claim, it's not a Republican or Democrat thing.
If a Republican doesn't like a talk show host, he switches channels.
Democrats demand that those they don't like be shut down.
Come again? I've heard of Republican's setting up boycotts of shows that they don't like, as well as calling on advertisers to stop supporting the show. The same can be said of Democrats. Republicans have called for certain hosts to be fired, Democrats have called out against certain hosts. Both situations are sad. People have free speech rights, agree or not, they have the right to say what they want.
If a Republican is a non-believer, he doesn't go to church.
A Democrat non-believer wants any mention of God and religion silenced.
That's either a bold faced lie, or someone being pissed about not being able to force their religion on everyone. A Democrat or non-believer does not call for every mention of God and religion to be silenced. What we speak out about are Constitutional violations of church/state separation. You can talk about and worship your god all you want. But you may be break the law and forecfeed your religion in public schools and courthouses.
If a Republican decides he needs health care, he goes about shopping for it, or may choose a job that provides it.
A Democrat demands that the rest of us pay for his.
I hope this list wasn't written by Pinocchio, otherwise his nose is probably long enough to span the Pacific... I know a Republicans that shop around for insurance, and I know one that is riding the free train from coast to coast. I also know someone who is a left wing as anyone I've ever met that works a lower paying job, just because it offered  healthcare.

If a Republican reads this, he'll forward it so his friends can have a good laugh.
A Democrat will delete it because he's "offended".
A good laugh over inaccurate info? Okay, if that's how you get your jollies, I guess it is what it is. I wouldn't so much say I'm offended so much as disappointed about how lazy people can be in their research. Does the truth matter, or would you rather just perpetuate stereotypes?

I could say that if a Democrat doesn't like abortion, she just doesn't have one.
If a Republican doesn't like abortion, they want to outlaw it and/or violate women to keep them from having one.

Obviously not all Republicans feel this way, but if we are just amplifying stereotype, Republicans have just as much or more mud to wear than the Democrats. So how about we actually focus on facts for a change?

-Brain Hulk

Please share, subscribe, comment and follow us on your favorite social networking sites!
facebook | google+ | twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment