Pages

Friday, April 18, 2014

Biblicaly cursed and blessed

A recent comment Billy Graham made in his column reminded me of a verse in the Bible that contradicts itself. Graham said...
When we give our lives to Christ, God welcomes us into His family and makes us His children forever.
And he also referenced Hebrews 13:5.
Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you
Okay, so by this line of thinking, the majority of atheists should be just fine in his book, right? In the United States (and throughout the world), many atheists were Christians before they were atheists. Many deeply religious and committed... Some even studying to join the clergy. Myself, I was a believer in Christ for many years before I lost my faith in the religion of my youth. But according to Graham, I was welcomed into God's family when I believed, and since he states that this relationship is eternal, Hell shouldn't be a worry if Christianity were correct.

But how does that sit with Mark 3:29?
but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; they are guilty of an eternal sin
I'm guilty of that. So which is it? Will God never forsake me and I am an eternal member of his family? Or is it my blasphemy that is eternal and unforgivable?  But wait... Lets muddy the waters further with Exodus 20:5-6
You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.
Uh... How can he do both. The promise/threat stated in Exodus isn't possible to fulfill fully. Those
Yup, curses... How does anyone take this book seriously?
that are the first generation to 'hate' him would have had to be born of a generation that is blessed. So the following 1,000 generations are promised the same blessing. But the following 4 are also supposed to be punished as well. So, are at least those four generations supposed to be simultaneously blessed and cursed? My parents believe, so am I automatically blessed? What if I had kids? Would they be blessed or cursed? They would be within 1,000 generation of my parents, but also withing four of myself. So which would it be?

Also, how screwed up is it for a god to curse the children of someone for a 'crime' they didn't commit and were not a party to? What if they believe, but their parents didn't? Are they just out of luck?

Of course none of this is really surprising. The Bible is far from sensical, and is ripe with contradictions, so this example is just one among a sea of many.


-Brain Hulk

Please share, subscribe, comment and follow us on your favorite social networking sites!
facebook | google+ | twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment