Pages

Thursday, January 1, 2015

Ryan Bell: One year later

Last year I wrote about Ryan Bell, an former Seventh Day Adventist pastor who resolved to 'try on atheism' for a year. Through the year I have been reading his various entries and in a recent interview with NPR almost at the very end of Bell's 'year of atheism, he had some interesting (and not unexpected) things to say.
I've looked at the majority of the arguments that I've been able to find for the existence of God and on the question of God's existence or not, I have to say I don't find there to be a convincing case in my view.
Wow! That answer sounds a lot like what I (and many other atheists would say). Bell goes on...
I don't think that God exists. I think that makes the most sense of the evidence that I have and my experience. 
And there it is! One more pastor turned atheist. Personally, I was happy that Bell was even giving this project a try. Had he asked these questions and returned to his faith, I would have been satisfied that he actually had the bravery that many other Christians seem to lack. He asked the hard questions instead of avoiding them. Granted, I had a feeling the end result would be as it is after reading his entries. But it was still pleasant to see those suspicions confirmed.
I think before I wanted a closer relationship to God and today I just want a closer relationship with reality
Sounds good to me!

And luckily Ryan is working again in a way that he loves, at PATH (People Assisting The Homeless). Good on you Mr. Bell, and welcome to the fold!


-Brain Hulk

Please share, subscribe, comment and follow us on your favorite social networking sites!
facebook | google+ | twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment