Pages

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

The price of honesty

Sometimes being honest isn't the easiest thing in the world. But as far as I'm concerned, facing tough honesty in search of the truth is very much worth it. That's why I am open about my non-belief. I could easily pretend to believe, but I don't. By openly questioning I take a risk. I risk friends and family thinking of me differently. I risk strangers making rush judgements of me, and it could even endanger future employment should the truth leak out. But that is how much the truth matters to me. I am willing to risk that much for my honest search for the truth.

If I wasn't an honest man, I could probably cash in on this whole theology business. Just lie and write a book about how I was a staunch atheist but God has made his truth and glory known to me and that I am now a Christian. I could lie through my teeth and speak at local churches to sell even more copies of that book. And if the book were successful enough, maybe even wind up appearing on Fox News, like the (most likely) fake atheist, S.E. Cupp.

I could do this. I could cash in, but I won't. The thought of if disgusts me. Sure, the money would be very welcome, but it would all be a lie... an act... a fantasy. And that's the kind of thing I'm trying to avoid. I don't want to live a fairytale, I want to live, understand, and know the truth. Being honest with myself and others may not be the easy road, but I feel that it's the noble one. So I will not sell out and exchange my credibility, and honesty for petty financial gain.

Tell me, do these glasses hide how full of it I am?
But on the subject of books, my wife has actually suggested I write one. Something about either atheism, countering Christian claims, or even my personal story. While I like the idea in principle, I don't know where I'd ever find the time to organize and complete such an undertaking. If I did decide to write one, what should it be about? And is the atheism book market already too saturated for it to be worthwhile? But enough of that aside...

In the future I hope you will choose the hard road of honesty. It may not always be easy, but at least you will remain true to yourself. And who really wants to live life hiding behind something you're not?


-Brain Hulk

Please share, subscribe, comment and follow us on your favorite social networking sites!
facebook | google+ | twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment