Pages

Friday, January 24, 2014

A 'good' Christian man

"He's a good Christian man." If I had a dollar for every time I've heard those words, I'd be rich. But what is this strange mythical being that I keep hearing mentioned? What exactly is a 'good Christian man'?

I've been suggested contractors and mechanics with the tag that he's a 'good Christian man' appended to the end of the recommendation. Someone I know upon hearing that I have had luck with online dating mentioned that their friend is trying Christian Mingle so she can find a 'good Christian man'. But every time, no further explanation or description is offered.

What qualities does a 'good Christian man' possess? The overwhelming majority of people in jail are Christians, so I doubt that's one of the intended qualities. Criminal doesn't exactly equate to 'good' to me. What about pastors guilty of raping little boys? I don't think that's what they're going for either. So maybe a pastor's son is more in line with the 'good Christian man' theme.

I happen to know of one such person. A girl I know, lets call her Susan, happens to be dating the son of a pastor. Let's take a look at his qualities... He's rude, controlling, physically abuses Susan, drinks heavily, and has gotten her into drinking as well. He's a very religious person, from an ultra religious family, so does he qualify as the fabled 'good Christian man'?

While I'm on the topic of Susan, she unfortunately denies the abuse she is experiencing. I will admit that I don't think highly of Susan. More often than not, she's the most selfish person you could meet. She also manufactured a huge bombshell of drama that caused my me, my wife, and others involved a great deal of stress. Something that could have shattered my life and my wife's for years to come.

So with that in mind, you may think that I would view Susan's hardships and abuse from this man as deserved. Maybe even karma catching up with her. But that's where you'd be wrong. No I probably won't ever forgive Susan for what she did to my wife and I. But at the same time, I still think that what Susan's boyfriend is doing is very much wrong. As terrible as Susan has been in the past, she still doesn't deserve to be beat by an abusive boyfriend. No one deserves to be abused like that.

With all that in mind, do we have any clearer of a picture of what a 'good Christian man' is? I think we do, and that's that the 'good Christian man' doesn't exist. Not because Christians can't be good. Quite the contrary... Christians can be, and often are good (just like those of other faiths and no faith). There are no 'good Christian men' or 'good atheist men'. Just good men that happen to be Christians, atheists, Hindu, etc. So lets try and stop pretending that adherence to a certain religion makes one intrinsically good. Instead, let's cut past the labels and just try to be the best people we can be.


-Brain Hulk

Please share, subscribe, comment and follow us on your favorite social networking sites!
facebook | google+ | twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment