Pages

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

How old

I took a survey not long ago that asked what the oldest thing you owned was. This got me thinking... What is the oldest thing I own.

Is it my fossil of a Megaladon tooth that my cat loves to try to take for himself? It is 1.5-28 million years old, but I have older.

My Baltic Amber is 20-22 Million years old. So that's at about the same range.

There's my Ammonite fossil, but it boasts a hearty range of possibly being 66-400 million years old.

Could it be my tiny fragment of Mars meteor from Northwest Africa 1195? Surprisingly it is only 334-360 million years old.

I also have fossils of Orthoceras and Mucrospirifer. 199-488 million years old and 360-410 million years old respectively.

But then there's the undisputed oldest item that I own. That would be my sliver of the Gibeon meteor. This beautiful piece has been radiometric dated at a staggering 4 billion years old! For comparisons sake, Earth is 4.54 billion years old.

These things are all old to varying degrees, but they are unified by one fact. If the universe was only 6,000 years old as far too many believers think, none of these things should even exist.

Now that I've shared, it's your turn. What is the oldest thing you own?


-Brain Hulk

Please share, subscribe, comment and follow us on your favorite social networking sites!
facebook | google+ | twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment